Senior Director or Director Health Economics and Medical Science (HE/MS) Liaison – South Central US
The Senior Director/Director Health Economics and Medical Science (HE/MS) Liaison has primary responsibility for implementing the Company’s field-based approach to formulary access for the company’s lead product, OLINVYK. In addition, the HEMS Liaison engages in peer-peer scientific and health economic discussions with relevant health care decision makers (HCDMs) at designated hospital systems, ambulatory surgery centers and other health care networks. The HE/MS Liaison is the primary representative of the Medical Affairs department for delivering scientific communications and exploring post market Investigator-Initiated Study (IIS) opportunities with KOLs, academic institutions and other scientific organizations. Additionally – the Senior Director Health Economics and Medical Science (HE/MS) Liaison has responsibility for direct oversight and operational management of the East or West field medical organization.
Specifically, the Senior Director/Director Health Economics and Medical Science Liaison will be able to successfully accomplish the following responsibilities:
- Provide scientific data presentations to formulary committees and other key HCDMs of the health economic model and associated clinical data and serve as the field-based face of the organization to address questions about these data.
- Work with various Medical Operations colleagues to assist in the design and development of communication materials to enable robust discussions of the health economic model and the value proposition for the lead product, OLINVYK, to assigned HCDMs and key health care systems.
- Possess extensive knowledge of health economic model design and analysis and be able to present complex ideas in a straightforward and understandable manner to HCDMs. Possess a deep understanding of cost-effectiveness models, budget impact models.
- Understand the content and format of product dossiers, such as the AMCP dossier, and other scientific materials, and their appropriate use to achieve formulary access. Possess a deep understanding of the landscape to ensure regulatory compliance and integrity in all interactions with HCDMs and their institutions.
- Understand the hospital reimbursement environment and the processes associated with formulary access and Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committees. Seek input from relevant HCDMs on potential demonstration projects of interest.
- Identify needs, initiate, and lead diverse strategic operational initiatives and re-challenge existing ones to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Maintain appropriate documentation of project plans including timelines, milestones, and spending to budget.
- Collaborate with peer company colleagues in Medical Affairs, Quantitative Sciences, Nonclinical Development, CMC/Manufacturing, Business Development, and Commercial Affairs, as required, to advance potential clinical development collaborations for the lead product, OLINVYK, at key academic institutions and assist in appropriately directing these opportunities to the Company’s Investigator-Initiated Studies program.
- Establish and foster professional relationships with KOLs and other academic scientists, and related business partners, consultants, and vendors.
- Foster a collaborative, motivating, innovative, problem-solving culture and mindset. Take the initiative in solving problems, not simply identifying them.
- Ensure high-quality operational execution with equal emphases on successful interpersonal communication, respect and engagement with colleagues, and scientific and strategic excellence.
- Observe compliance with all Trevena policies, SOPs, and safety guidelines.
- The Senior Director Health Economics and Medical Science Liaison will also have responsibility for directly supervising the East or West field-based Health Economics Medical Science (HE/MS) Liaison team, including:
- Working with each HE/MSL to prioritize accounts and KOL contacts to set objectives that assure progress toward agreed upon goals of formulary acceptances and KOL interactions.
- Evaluating and providing input into each HE/MSL’s weekly activity; working with the Head Field Health Economics and Medical Science to provide weekly reports on agreed upon metrics, formulary review progress, and Medical Voice of the Customer.
- Providing management and quality oversight of HE/MSL customer interactions; assessing each HE/MSL’s level of understanding and ability to present the scientific and health economic data to customers through scheduled “ride-alongs” / Zoom call attendance; providing feedback and discussing additional, or any re-training, needs with the Head, Field Health Economics and Medical Science.
- Other duties as assigned.
Up to 75% domestic travel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- MD, PhD, PharmD or other advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Medical Science Liaison role, with emphasis on Health Economics outcomes research strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in an MSL role with primary emphasis on/knowledge of P&T committee processes.
- Hospital experience is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in neuroscience development and/or opioids and pain management is strongly preferred.
- It is also strongly preferred that the Senior Director Health Economics and Medical Sales Liaison have at least 5 years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A high level of integrity and respect for others, and a strong sense of enjoyment in seeing their team succeed.
- Strong presentation and communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to clearly communicate results, plans, issues, and risks.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge of health care economics and the hospital reimbursement environment.
- Capable of triaging projects in a sophisticated manner, with the ability to identify multiple potential courses of action and describe related risks of each to non-technical audiences.
- Experienced team leadership and project management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to operate within a rapidly changing environment, while maintaining a sense of humor, and inspiring others to collaborate effectively.
Please fill out the form below to submit your application.