Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, Planning & Analysis, the Controller will be responsible for the oversight and management of the General Accounting, External Reporting, Accounts Payable and Order to Cash processes. This role will manage the financial close process, ensure timely and accurate reporting of the General Ledger and Trial Balance and preparing Trevena’s financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Specifically, the Controller will:
- Manage the Accounting close process, including the preparation and / or review of journal entries, supporting documentation and posting journal entries when appropriate.
- Manage the Accounts Payable function to ensure invoices are processed correctly, expenses are recorded in the appropriate period and discrepancies are reconciled.
- Be responsible for the preparation and / or review of reconciliation and analysis of all Balance Sheet accounts. In addition, this person will be responsible for reconciliation of Inventory, developing and maintaining standard costs, standard cost revaluations and analyzing actual to standard variances.
- Manage the Company’s stock-based compensation platform, including option valuation, tracking grants and their related vesting, expense recognition and working with payroll to process vesting.
- Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual financial statements and footnote disclosures, in accordance with GAAP, to meet the Company’s external reporting obligations. In addition, complete the quarterly and annual disclosure questionnaires to ensure disclosures are appropriate.
- Monitor new accounting pronouncements and manage the implementation of pronouncements as appropriate. Identify and research technical accounting issues and prepare white papers as necessary.
- Assist with bank activities, including approving bank reconciliations, reviewing payment requests and recording transactions where appropriate.
- Ensure Sarbanes-Oxley compliance by developing, documenting and managing processes to ensure a strong environment of internal controls.
- This role will also coordinate quarterly and annual audit preparations and internal control review activities with external auditors.
- Develop policies and processes related to the Accounting function that are consistent with organizational growth and process changes.
- Work with the Finance and IT teams on the creation and maintenance of accounts & departments in the financial system.
- Coordinate with 3rd party tax services on state and federal tax returns as well as monitor tax reporting obligations.
- Recruit, hire, manage and develop a growing Accounting team.
- Other responsibilities, as needed.
Up to 10% domestic travel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum of at least Eight (8) years’ finance or accounting experience, including at least 2 years of management / supervisory experience.
- CPA is required with public accounting experience highly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint and ERP systems is required. Experience with Concur and Oracle is preferred.
- Pharmaceutical or biotech experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- The ability to handle ambiguity and work effectively in a changing environment is critical.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Must have the ability to interact with peers as well as all levels of management throughout the Company.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail and the ability to work independently and follow through on assigned projects. Must be able to present the results of analyses in a clear and concise manner to the Company’s management.
- Strong sense of urgency with the ability to proactively identify and respond to issues and opportunities.
- The successful candidate needs to be able to develop and mentor high-performing teams.
Trevena is proud to be an equal opportunity employer with a diverse and dedicated workforce. We hope you will consider joining the team!Director, Financial Controller: Apply Now